Monday, July 7, 2008

Bitsy

This morning I took Bitsy back to the vet. On Friday night when we came home from the fireworks we found Bitsy had an accident and was sleeping in it. She didn't even realize this had happened. Flash back to November when we first found out she had kidney problems. We did test after test and suddenly her kidneys were better. We decided to keep her on the specialized food for dogs with kidney problems.

About two months ago, Chris went by the vet twice and they were out of the food and with moving and working in Killeen, we just didn't get back to the vet to get her special food. So now I feel like an awful, terrible parent. Because now we are back to square one. Anyway...I took her in to the vet first thing this morning. They called me and told me that her BUN and Creatnine levels were higher than they were back in November. Then we started talking about options.

Option 1: Take Bitsy to a specialist for a sonogram and further testing. This is going to cost at least $250. I do not have $250 to do this with.

Option 2: Hospitalize Bitsy and give her IV Fluids and hope she turns around. However she could get better and as soon as we take her off fluids she could get worse again. This gets really expensive for a 109lb dog. Also, I know Bitsy. She won't eat as long as she is in the hospital. She doesn't really like to be away from her Mom and Dad for long. I know she isn't eating much at home but I know she won't eat at all there.

Option 3: Fluids for the day at the doctor and then home with pain medication and antibiotics and special food. Hopefully in a couple of days she will feel better and we won't have to do anything else. If she doesn't feel better, reevaluate and decide where to go from there.

So I told the vet for right now we would go with option 3. I don't know what else to do. I can't spend a fortune on Bitsy right now. I do not have the money to spend. I wish I did. She is twelve years old now. She is a huge part of my life and I want to do what is best for her but I feel like it is all my fault that she is sick again. If we had made sure she had the special food for the last two months maybe she wouldn't be sick again. She has always been there for me. I love her so much.

Chris is going with me to pick her up this afternoon. Please send good thoughts her way. Hopefully she starts to feel better.

1 comment:

Penni said...

Aww Casey!! I'm thinking of you guys! I'm sending happy thoughts your way! Just know that you are NOT a terrible parents to her...I know you would do anything to help her...it's tough when pets get old. :( Keep me updated! I hope she feels better and you see improvement--fast!