Today, I felt like a super teacher. I did not raise my voice once. I was calm and collected all day. The one moment during guided reading that I wanted to belittle a student, I closed my eyes and counted to 10 and reminded myself that of course they can't read yet. I haven't taught them. It is so hard because I keep comparing this group to last year...and not last year at the same time but last year at the end of the year when they could read, write, walk in a line, sit quietly, be friendly...all of those wonderful things that they learn over the course of an entire school year...I just keep forgetting that they were not always that way and this year's class will eventually be like them too. I just have to patient. (It's amazing what a half day away from the darling children will do for one's perspective.)
I even had one student today at guided reading who just made my whole day. I have to tell you the whole story...I am always telling my students they have to think. They need to pay attention and think. So fast forward to guided reading today...We are sitting in a small group and I am helping this student sound out the words Dan and Dad. This is the title of the book. We finally get through it. (Note: He doesn't really sound it out yet...I sound it out and blend it for him...but the point is we are introducing the concept.) Anyway we keep taking turns and it comes back to this student. His page says "my dad". He looks really intently at the page and says loudly and proudly "my dad". No help from me or anyone else. Next words out of his mouth with the world's largest grin, "Mrs. Helms' I got it. I was thinking! I saw the word that looked just like this one and it was my and then that other word we read early looked just the same and you said it was dad. So I just thought it had to be "my dad"." I kid you not folks this is one of my proudest moments as a teacher. A student not just proud of doing well but proud of thinking. (I know some of you are thinking..yeah..thinking...sure...but for 5 year olds and this one in particular this is a major break through.)
Please remind me of how wonderful I feel today the next time I start thinking I am crazy for teaching. These are the kind of days I live for. Those little moments of clarity or when the light bulb finally turns on for one my kids. When they succeed at something for the first time and it makes them dare to try something new. It is the most amazing thing. I love it. I love teaching.
1 comment:
I spend each day with 11-year-olds, who when not also screaming, are whining...so I kinda feel ya there :)
Post a Comment