Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sex Education

I have been thinking a great deal about the Plan B pill being made available without a prescription to women 17 and up. I am actually very happy about this decision. I know that there are people who argue that this will allow people(read women) to be more promiscous but I totally disagree. When people are educated about sex and its consequences they know that the greatest risk to having unprotected sex isn't pregnancy but disease. The diseases that you can catch from unprotected sex are more dangerous and more permanent than pregnancy. If we teach sex education correctly and accept the fact that the vast majority of young adults are going to have sex then we need to teach that using condoms is the safest way to have sex and if you aren't responsible enough to use a condom then you aren't responsible enough to have sex but at least now if you are using condoms and the condom breaks you have a way to prevent pregnancy without waiting to find out if you are pregnant and then having an abortion which is more traumatic. Anyway I just felt like putting my thoughts out there.

No comments: