Monday, March 16, 2009

Baby woes

Please someone tell me that they had the same problem...Caden will make hungry face and I try to feed him and he acts like he doesn't want it. He will eat for a couple of seconds and then pull away. So I keep offering and he still doesn't want it. All the while he is still making hungry face and now he is starting to cry so then I try the pacifier and no he doesn't really want that either. He sucks on it for a little bit and then pushes it out of his mouth. Now of course he is really frustrated and still making hungry face. So we go through it again and I try to feed him again and suddenly he wants it. Why does he do this to me? It is so frustrating. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Of course he doesn't always do this. He tends to do it more in the middle of the night. When Chris and I have both have the least amount of patience and understanding. Does anyone have any idea what else I can do? I feel like such a crappy mom sometimes.

3 comments:

Stevie said...

I wouldn't really know but I bet since you said it is usually in the middle of the night, he's probably drifting in and out of sleep during this fussy time and therefore isn't really sure what he needs/wants which would explain why at first he doesn't want one thing and then later finds out that he does. In other words, it's not you being a "bad mom," babies are just indecisive...just like most women I know :D

Penni said...

I just read your posts and I'm sorry you're going through this! I do remember going through this with Preston. It was very overwhelming! I honestly almost didn't remember ever having experienced that until you reminded me. I promise it does change and he will grow out of this stage. Everything seemed heightened at the time because of sleep deprivation and I was still hormonal/emotional. I remember feeling like I couldn't do anything right at times! The eating and pulling away thing was REALLY frustrating. Preston did this for a while...but inconsistently. Do you think there is anything you're eating that could be causing him some stomach discomfort? Caffeine? Garlic? Something spicy? For a while I was obsessed with what I ate b/c I swore he did that pulling away thing b/c something was causing him gas or discomfort. I thought it was caffeine for a while...but at this age their digestive systems seem to be very sensitive...and then before you know it they grow out of it. The doc always said to me that as long as he didn't spit up excessively, had enough output, and was growing adequately that he was okay. Not really any consolation there for when I was up all night or worried about figuring out how to calm him! As far as the knowing which cry is which...I think that's a load of crap. I knew when he was hungry b/c the rooting thing like you said...but I did what you did each time eating didn't satisfy him...over and over. It's just trial and error until something works. You're doing a great job, Casey! You are a wonderful mom and I can tell you already know a lot about Caden from all your efforts. Just know that he will grow out of this phase. :) Just keep doing what you're doing! I hope something in what I wrote helps!

Mrs. Casey Helms said...

Thanks...I know I have found that garlic really bothers him...but I did some research and I think part of it is that my milk flows super fast and it chokes him sometimes. I have tried feeding him laying down and that seems to help.