I think I would like to be poetic today while writing, however, I lack the skill and will just fill you in on the doings of the Helms.
Chris is busy working. (Surprised?) It is the Holiday season and therefore the worst time of the year for him. He is working more than is decent for anyone to work. As is evidenced by the fact that is his son says with complete confidence every morning, "Daddy, work." "Yes, Caden, Daddy is at work." He is frustrated and under-appreciated. (By his job, not us) He hates Christmas music already. He believes that Christmas songs can be sung between January 1st and November 1st, but not at all during November and December. Does this mean that Caden will grow up a little differently than his peers? I suppose it does, but oh well. Chris has signed up to take the GRE. He doesn't have any more definite plans than that so far. It is a step in the right direction, though. He will do superbly on it.
I am busy trying to determine whether or not I am making a difference in the lives of my 17, oh, wait, 18 (got a new one this week) restless students. Somehow they must be ready in April to take a test that they are already terrified of. And here I am terrified right along with them. Somedays it feels like we are drowning but most days we are treading water barely keeping our collective heads above water. They all laughed at me this week because I introduced them to my favorite punctuation, the comma. In fact, I was so excited I was dancing. They did very well on the comma test. I guess they like them as much as I do. I expect to see a great deal of commas in their writing soon. It seems like the comma becomes overused as soon as one knows it exists. Chris insists that I speak with commas all over the place and it annoys him greatly. We just learned how to use them in a series. I don't want them just throwing commas around carelessly but it seems that for some it already comes naturally. We have also begun multiplication, which is exciting. They have been waiting for years to learn how to multiply. Now, division is another story. Somehow it is not nearly as exciting as multiplication. I have one student who continues to confound me and himself. He informed the other day that he can add so that is why he can multiply. He came the next day and told me he can divide but that he cannot subtract. I said, "honey, division is repeated subtraction." His response, "No, it can't be because I can't subtract but I can divide." Do you see why I say that we are barely treading water here? The interesting thing is while teaching them I am learning so many things that I never knew before either. Everyday someone asks me if I miss my kindergartners and everyday I say there are things I miss and things I don't. The thing I miss the most is the obvious progress you see in the young ones. The changes they make are so profound that it screams at you! "Look, I CAN READ NOW!" In third grade it is a small whisper that I cannot hear at all right now. But I will be patient.
Caden is Caden. Full of energy and change. Where the changes in kindergarten happen over the course of a year but with great big strides during the year, Caden's changes happen daily. He says a word with greater clarity than he did the day before. He speaks a sentence where before it was just two words. He listens. He understands what you ask him to do and follows through on it. Mostly. He is fascinating to watch, listen to, talk to, and play with. He has a bizarre sense of humor that I haven't quite figured out yet. He has undefined fears. He looks at you and asks, "okay?" in a very worried voice to determine if he should be scared or worried about that thing. It is interesting to note that as long as Mommy and Daddy reassure him that it is okay, he will take it in stride. He still loves music and wants to play his guitar. He now plays it while singing. I believe Santa will be bringing Caden some more musical instruments. He is a natural problem solver and I will strangle the teacher that tries to crush it out of him. Problem solving is one major skill that all students lack and I think it is because we (teachers, parents, society) try to everything for them and we lack the patience to let them figure it out. Just watch a little kid that has been told no though. They will try every possible way to get that no turned into a yes. Problem Solving is what little minds do best. Caden is just a constant delight. I love him more every day. I am a relationship person and as he becomes more of a person every day with his own quirks, I love him more and more.
And so, you are caught up. I am unsure who the you is but it is done for you. I think I write these more for me than for anyone else. It is the 21st centuries answer to therapy. Blog about it.
Have a wonderful evening. Enjoy the Aggies playing tonight against Nebraska. WHOOP!
No comments:
Post a Comment