Friday, October 2, 2009

Separation Anxiety? Jealousy?

So today I experienced a strange reaction from my little Caden-bug. When I went into his classroom at daycare I was calling his name but he really didn't notice or hear me at first but another little girl baby heard me and crawled over to me. She was sitting at my feet when Caden finally looked up and saw me. Then he saw the little girl and started crying and he crawled over to me and practically pushed the little girl out of the way and pulled himself up to standing on my legs. When I reached down to get him and had him up he got the biggest grin on his face. Is this baby jealousy? Did he think that other baby was trying to take his mommy? I don't know and am not sure what to think or do about it. We came home and went to the neighborhood playground for the first time because it was such a lovely evening. I thought I would see how Caden liked swinging. At first he seemed a little unsure but then he really seemed to enjoy it.





After the swing I held him and let him slide a little ways down the slide and he wasn't sure about that at all. Then we stood on the bars and discovered the rocks on the playground. I had to keep stopping him from trying to put them in his mouth. Hopefully, he isn't like his mom and doesn't eat the pebbles off the playground. When we came back to the house he was still in a good mood but anytime I put him down and walked even a few steps away he started to whine and crawl after me. Is he having separation anxiety? I don't know what that really looks like. I thought it was more when you left them at daycare or with a sitter or something like that. Not just several feet away from him. Anybody else have this happen?

1 comment:

Penni said...

Preston does that (the whole whining when he is a few feet away). I can't remember when it first started, but he does it when he doesn't feel good, is teething, is tired, is hungry...or apparently toddlers do this one second and then want to be independent and left alone the next second to do whatever they want to do on their own. Lately I think he's whining because he's been sick and teething.
When I pick up Preston from daycare he usually is fine doing whatever he's doing, but when he notices me he immediately cries and desperately wants me to pick him up. Once I pick him up he's all smiles. I think it's just the reaction of missing you and not wanting you to leave again since you're now there. Could be a little jealousy though. Preston gets jealous if I hold other babies...this should be fun when his little brother or sister comes along!