Howdy! Last week we went to New Orleans. We drove through Tropical Storm Edouard in order to get there but I was very determined to go on vacation this year. This was my first vacation since our honeymoon. Once we got through Beaumont, though everything was just peachy. It actually didn't take long to get there considering we went through the storm. I think it took about 9 and a half hours. So we got there, and had to pay a ridiculous amount of money to park our car for the week. But since we didn't have to pay for the hotel I guess that it is okay. We went walking for awhile in the French Quarter that evening for awhile. Then we just grabbed a bite to eat at a little cafe.
On Wednesday which was our 3rd anniversary we spent the day walking down Royal Street and we went to the Louisiana State History Museum in The Presbytyre(sp?) in the quarter. We went back to the hotel and chilled for a little while late that afternoon and then we went to dinner at this really nice restaurant called GW Fins. It was wonderful. I had a lovely salmon dish with some mashed potatoes and corn succotash and Chris had a white fish with etoufee. We shared a side of mushroom risotto and a creme brulee for dessert. It was so good.
On Thursday we went to the Garden District and toured the homes in the Garden District. Some of the home there have been owned by the same family for over 130 years. Isn't that crazy. Can you imagine having a home in your family for that long? We also toured the cemetery in the Garden District. We saw the tomb that Anne Rice used as inspiration for Lestat's sleeping place and the tomb that was described in The Witching Hour. We also got to see Anne Rice's house which is for sale for 3.6 million dollars. It is the house that she writes about in The Witching Hour. I really want that house...*sniff*. We saw the house that Jefferson Davis died in and Nicholas Cage's house in the Garden District. It is 17,000 square feet. What would you do with all that space? We bought a couple of books in the book store there which made Chris happy. He bought a book by Anne Rice that was autographed. We went back to the hotel so I could change shoes and then went and grabbed a really late lunch. Afterwards we went back to the hotel and just read for awhile. We looked up and realized it was really late and so we went to grab a bite to eat at the same cafe we had been to the first night. Then we went and gambled a little at the casino. We came out 5 dollars ahead. Yay.
On Friday, we overslept so we went to the French Quarter again and toured the Mardi Gras museum. I thought that was really interesting. I still don't really get it. I think you have to grow up with it to really understand it. It seems like a ton of money, labor, and time is invested for such a short about of time. They start working on next years Mardi Gras as soon as this one is over. After that we just walked along the river and then went back to the hotel and just chilled. It felt wonderful to just relax like that. We went to dinner at a really good Italian restaurant that night. It was quite tasty. Then we went to Bourbon street and actually hung out instead of just walked it. We went up and down and sat in the bars and just had a great time even though I couldn't drink.
On Saturday we took a tour of the French Quarter which was really interesting. We got to see a lot of houses including the house that the Jolie-Pitts bought recently and Nicholas Cage's French Quarter House. Why does he need two houses in the same city less than 20 minutes from each other? We saw the house where William Faulkner lived. I really dislike that man. Yuck. We also saw a house called Madame John's Legacy. It was built in the 18th century. Very cool. We also toured a house in the Quarter and now I can't remember what it is called. It had indoor plumbing with hot and cold water.
On Sunday we left but we went to Oak Alley Plantation on the way home. It was beautiful. 28 oak trees with a life span of 650 years old lining the pathway to the house. They were beautiful. I will upload some pictures of the whole trip when I get home. I have spent this whole week in TAG training. I am still in training...Can you guess how bored I am...Well...I'll talk to ya'll all later.
No comments:
Post a Comment