Sunday, January 18, 2009

Catching Up...

Trying to keep up with everything seems a little overwhelming at times. I had a few minutes so I thought I would let everyone know the latest of what is going on.

On Monday I went to my breastfeeding class. Breastfeeding appears to be more complicated that I had originally thought. There is apparently an art to it that you have to practice and can't just expect to get it right the first time. It seems odd to me though because what did people do before there was a class to show you how to do it and lactation specialists to help you if something wasn't working quite right? I know they didn't let their babies starve because then we wouldn't be here. Anyway there wasa couple there who was at my L&D class and then on Wednesday they were there for the Baby Care Basics class. We talked and I found out she is due just one day before me which seemed kind of cool to me.

Chris and I both went to the baby care basics class. It was pretty informative. Some of the stuff I already knew how to do. I have been confused about swaddling but once she showed us what it was I knew how to do it because it was how I wrapped Richard up and my baby dolls. I just never called it swaddling. They also described all the weird ways our baby can look when it first comes out so that no one is worried about the babies funny shaped head etc. It made for a late evening but overall I think it was pretty useful especially for Chris.

On Friday I had another OB visit. This one was for the group b strep test and just to check how things were progressing along. It turns out I am a finger tip dilated and 50% effaced which means things are beginning to move along. Caden isn't fully engaged yet though. She said he is just kind of bouncing up and down right now. I guess he just hasn't fully committed to coming out yet. He sometimes spins in circles and it feels almost like he is trying to burrow his way out. After work on Friday I drove up to Dallas.

Yesterday, Mom and I went to Babies R Us and I bought Caden some cute clothes and an outfit to come home from the hospital in and we got him a swing and a few other small things. I actually got pretty tired from just that so we came back home and laid down for a little while. Then we went to dinner with Theresa, Hugh, and Lyndsey at El Fenix. I love El Fenix. I ate too much and then was uncomfortable for a couple of hours afterwards but it was worth it. Finally last night Mom really got to feel Caden move. He had the hiccups and like he normally does when he has the hiccups he was flailing around in there.

Today at Mom's work they are throwing her a grandmother's shower so I am going with her to that and then I think we are going to see Kay. I will be heading home bright and early tomorrow. I still have so many things to do at home. Chris is going to put together the changing table today. I think we are going to put up a ceiling fan tomorrow. I really need to get other things going too. I have to get some lesson plans done so we shall see...

No comments: